Friday, May 30, 2014

Global Citizen


What does it mean to be a global citizen?  According to ourkingdom.com a global citizen is someone who identifies with being a part of an emerging world community and whose actions contribute to building this community’s values and practices.  Assuming that there is such thing as an emerging world community to which anyone would identify with and that they have a set of values, I would consider myself part of this community.  I can appreciate the things that other countries have to offer, as well as I do respect the other countries as well. 
I have to say that Americans have a definite stereotype in other countries.  This is not always a good thing.  There will always be those Americans that give us a bad name, and fit to well into the stereotype.  What is the stereotype? Lazy, t-shirts pants, rude, loud and ungrateful.  Yes I have witnessed this from certain Americans while abroad, and I tried my hardest to set this stereotype straight.  But it seemed no matter what we did there were still people on the underground whispering about us, or calling us stupid Americans. 
I would consider myself a global citizen I have experienced what it is like to be in another country that is so much different than ours.  I have to say I felt very safe the whole time I was there, and everyone was very friendly, as I liked to say, very politely rude!  Being aware of the social responsibility of fitting in while in another country is important.  We want people to fit in while they are here in our country so we should learn their social norms while we are in their country.  We have the freedom to travel freely to wherever we wish.  I would recommend embracing this freedom to anyone who asks me.  The experiences that you get is not something that can be learned or taught from a textbook, it is something that only living it will teach you.  Having respect for the other culture is critical if you want them to have respect for you.  You can be welcomed with open arms as well as we welcome foreigners with open arms here.
No matter where you go, no matter what country you call home or go to visit, you will always fit in with someone, somewhere.  I recommend becoming a global citizen and expanding your horizons!  It is something that will be remembered forever!  I will always remember what we did and what we saw, and the friends that I have made!

1 comment:

  1. We should counted how many times we heard comments such as "typical Americans"! I remember always saying politely rude to describe Londoners, they were trying hard to be polite but came off rude. I also agree that being a global citizen is very important. There are uncountable amount of information that you can learn from not just other countries but from individual people as well.

    ReplyDelete